Friday, May 20, 2011

Spice Rack Challenge - Coriander

Coriander, really I had no idea what to make.  I love Cilantro (I used to HATE it!) It always amazes me that at my age, I am always still learning new thing.  Like a couple years ago, I found out the easy way that Coriander is Cilantro that has been allowed to go to seed.  Every year I get tons of Cilantro because I let it go to seed the year before.

So what to do?  I start looking through cookbooks and on the internet, then I get lazy and fall back on an old recipe.  Woodman bought a cookbook some time back, I don't even remember the name but it had a rub recipe you used in conjunction with a bbq sauce.  While Woodman likes this, the cumin is a bit strong for me but I do like it.  We had it on grilled pork chops this week and it was a beautiful taste of summer.  Here is the recipe with a few adaptions.

Woodman's BBQ Rub

2 T Kosher Salt
2 T Ground Coriander
6 T Ground Cumin
4 T Hot Chili Powder
1 T Paprika
1 1/2 t Ground Allspice
1 1/2 t ground black pepper


Mix well and store in airtight container.  Rub on meat prior to grilling.  During last few minutes of grilling, brush with your favorite BBQ Sauce

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'm almost as fanatical about collecting spice rubs as I am about the individual spices (a good portion of my countertop is covered with them!), so I'll have to give this a try.
    (BTW, about the coriander-lime ice cream w/rhubarb sauce: the ice cream itself wasn't that citrus-y, but the sauce certainly was!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rub sounds excellent! Did you reduce the cumin from the 6 T listed here? That seems like way too much for me too. I'd probably go for about 4 T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thanks for the info on the ice cream. I can't wait to try it.

    Tracy, I did not but I think 4 might be the way to go as it was too cuminy for me (yes I know that is not a word)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a cumin lover, but that is certainly a lot! Sounds like it would be quite good with a little tweaking.

    ReplyDelete