Can Jam - Citrus - Orange Lime Marmalade


I have been so excited about the can jam that it has thrown me into a whirlwind of activity.  I have been canning up a storm lately!  While it may seem a boring choice I decided on a marmalade, I have only tried marmalade once or twice and really didn't like it.  Of course I was trying the little retangular packets you find in your local breakfast place so I reasoned, if I make my own, surely I will like it better.  Wow, the difference was amazing.  While I will always be a "berry" jam kind of gal, I can definitely say I like marmalade.  I wanted to try something different so Woodman suggested an Orange Lime Marmalade, I had tons of citrus so I tried the Orange Lime as well as a Citrus Marmalade which included Orange, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit and Clementines - it was great!  Woodman liked the Orange Lime better so that is what we are posting.

Orange Lime Marmalade
3 lbs oranges
3 Limes
6 cups water

Peel the oranges and limes.  Chop the orange peel, discard the most of the lime peel (the recipe from "The New Preserves" said all but I put some in anyway).  Measure 4 cups of orange peel into a saucepan, roughly chop the orange and lime removing as much of the membranes as possible as well as any seeds and add to the saucepan along with the water.  Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.  Refrigerate overnight.  The next day measure the puree and add 1 cup of sugar per cup of puree into a saucepan.  Stir until sugar is dissolved then rapidly heat to a boil until gelling point.  Pour into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.  About 5 12 oz jars.

This turned out delish and beautiful - the first day I did not boil long enough so it was too runny - I ended up having to open them all and reprocess.  Be patient!  I hadn't made jam or jelly since the summer and got a little excited so I became impatient and paid the price.

 I hope everyone enjoyed the can jam as much as I did!  Can't wait to see what is on for next month!






Oh and by the way, I didn't really discard the lime peel - I candied it and it was yummy!

Comments

  1. Now we need to make some vanilla bean ice cream to have with the marmalade.

    I like both batches on bread, or crackers, in our homemade yogurt, and on a knife.

    Ohh, and I think I'm going to try it in bbq sauce sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jam looks wonderful. The color so vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has changed color from these shots, we reboiled it to get a better set and it's a bit darker. I am going to see if I can get Daisy Driver to update tonight with the other marmalade we made and I'll post a picture of them both together.

    It's really really good on ice cream too. I'm going to see if I can get everyone to buy in on making some homemade ice cream with this in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm mmmmm yum! That looks like a great recipe! Lime and orange? Why didn't I think of that? Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Catalina - I can't take the credit - it all goes to Woodman!!! He loves the tartness of limes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your marmalade - In fact, last month I made a similar multi-citrus marmalade and it was delicious! As a beginning canner, I definitely see the attraction in making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are other tart things I happen to be attracted to..... {wink} {wink} {nudge} {nudge}

    Saucy too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can Jam... Stoned Fruit

Spice Rack Challenge - Citrus