Erhmagerd Beezzsh!!!

So, in 2017 I posted my beeventures. I have continued running down that rabbit hole and I now have two hives (Actually one, but more on that below) and work at a bee farm.

I stepped up to a real two frame honey extractor and we got about 70 pounds of honey this year. 


Unfortunately we lost a hive this fall, some sort of virus most likely, but hive #2 is going pretty darn well so far. I have both hives inside my chicken run, and even though we're down to two birds due to Racoonpocalypse 2019 they still keep the grass clear of the hives and seem to keep pests down as well. I do lose the odd bee here and there to snacking from the hens, but that's worth not running a weed eater around them.



Working at the Bee Farm has worked out well for me, I needed something flexible that allowed for me to be sick off and on and they needed someone here and there. I don't work the fields, yet, but help run the shop and build frames and boxes and that. It's hard not to be impressed with the sheer quantity of honey and wax produced here. I'm happy with my 20 pounds of wax and 70 pounds of honey when I'm helping extract thousands of pounds of honey and hundreds of pounds of wax.


The most entertaining thing so far is loading the bees up to send them to California, the picture below is about half of what went out on a semi. They'll be back in the Spring.




In more personal news, I got the pneumonia just before Thanksgiving and have started IVIG treatments. I was in the hospital from Saturday to Wednesday, word of advice... don't get pneumonia. It mostly sucks..... ok, totally sucks.




As a final note, this thing is a life saver, literally, for my chickens. Automatic door with a light sensor, it starts to get dark, the coop light comes on and they go in, shortly after the door closes. In the morning they get let out after it's light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Jam - Citrus - Orange Lime Marmalade

Carrots carrots carrots. February Can Jam.

Spice Rack Challenge - Citrus