It's Carrot Week and Cranberry Chutney

t's carrot week and I will be posting on Wednesday so we can taste before I post so keep a look out!  I tried a recipe that needs to sit for two weeks, we are going to jump the gun by a week but that should at least give us an idea if it is good!

Now to the task at hand - we had some cranberries I found on clearance.  Woodman LOVES cranberries so I started looking for something a little creative to do with them.  Another wait and see so I will have to post again in two months to let you know how it turned out but the jars were beautiful and we did have a little with some on some bread last night and it was pretty darn good - could use some time to mellow.  Here is the recipe:

Cranberry Chutney

1 lb cranberries
1lb apples peeled, cored and cut into pieces
1oz ginger peeled and grated
zest of one orange
1/2 cinnamon stick
pinch of ground cloves
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups of cider or white wine vinegar (I used cider)

Put everything into a saucepan on low until sugar dissolves.  Then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Place in hot jars and process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.  Allow to sit in a cool dark place for two months before using.

As you know, patience is not a virtue I have but I am going to try real hard on this - we did have one jar that would not fit in the canner so we tried it and it was pretty good, a little tart.  This made 6 half pints.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Jam - Citrus - Orange Lime Marmalade

Carrots carrots carrots. February Can Jam.

Can Jam... Stoned Fruit