Friday, July 16, 2010
Cucurbits - what???
Here is the recipe
Pickled Watermelon Rind from The New Preserves - Anne Nelson
1lb watermelon rind
1/4 cup salt
4 cups water
5 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1 lemon, sliced thinly
12 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 pint jars
1. Peel the dark gree skin and pink fruit from the watermelon rind, and cut it into 1 inch squares or 2 inch by 1/2 inch sticks. Mix the salt and water in a bowl, add the rind and the ice and refrigerate 4 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the rind under running water, then place in a medium saucepan and cover with warm water. Cook until the rind can be pierced with a fork but no longer. Drain then toss in a bowl with the lemon slices.
3. Combine the sugar, vinegar, water and spices in a saucepan. Boil 5 minutes then pour the syrup over the rind and lemon and let soak overnight in the refrigerator.
4. In a large saucepan slowly bring the mix to a boil. Cook over low heat for an hour.
5. Prepare jars and hot water bath.
6. Pack the rind, lemon, and cinnamon sticks into the jars and pour the liquid over them, filling each to 1/2 inch from the top.
7. Process for 10 minutes.
8. You may eat the pickles within the first week.
Cali thinks canning is hard work.