Sassy Salsa - More Tomatoes for the Can Jam - Failure

While I do not have a glut of tomatoes, I am overfilled with peppers so what to do?  My family would never forgive me if I did not can lots of salsa!  They LOVE it.  My 17 year old even has her best friend bringing me tomatoes so I can "can" her some for when she is over there.  Seriously, this is some fantastic salsa and since there is concern over my Dried Tomatoes in Oil, I thought I would post this as well.  I have only canned two batches so far but I know this weekend the expectation is for much more!

Sassy Salsa

10 cups tomatoes peeled and chopped
3/4 cup green pepper, chopped
3/4 cup banana pepper, chopped
3/4 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon salt

Mix all items in a heavy pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until desired thickness (about 1/2 to 1 hour).  Pour into hot, sterilized jars, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice per jar, seal.  Hot water bath can 10 minutes.Apparently this is not safe either for hot water bath canning so either pressure can or refrigerate.

Ok the above is the basic recipe - according to my kids - this is the "lame" version.  I added 2 scotch bonnets and one bulgarian carrot pepper without removing seeds or membranes.  This is what they call a "medium" version.  I'm not sure what is wrong with them!  Hope to get Woodman to post some pictures soon.  The peppers were compliments of his container garden and he is VERY proud!  Hope you give this a try!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Jam - Citrus - Orange Lime Marmalade

Carrots carrots carrots. February Can Jam.

Can Jam... Stoned Fruit