Can Jam, Herbs.....

Ok, I'm posting this, which means DD didn't like what she canned.

 When we first read that it was herbs there was some confusion and consternation concerning this confounding canning conundrum (OK, I was reaching a little on the alliteration). We thought of a couple things that we make for recipes, an apple thyme jam was suggested many times and we almost went that direction.

But, there was a substance that I have always craved from my childhood that DD decided to attempt to replicate. I have no idea if this is what I had as a kid, but it rocks.....Dilly Beans!

Pretty cool stuff.

You go and buy some beans, then you open up your Ball Blue Book 2008 to page 54 and do what it tells you.

2 lbs Green Beans
1/4 cup canning salt
21/2 cups vinegar
21/2 cups water
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic
4 heads dill

Trim ends off green beans. Combine salt, vinegar and water in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Pack beans lengthwise into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1 head dill to each pint jar. Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 cloves garlic and two heads dill to each quart jar. LAdle hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

I really really like dilly beans, and I really like the kick the cayenne gives it.

Comments

  1. I need some serious pickling practice! Bet these are perfect, come summertime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Dilly Beans! I have one jar left and am trying not to open it until the new bean seeds are planted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring a Dilly Bean to work so I can try it :O)
    Tami

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can Jam - Citrus - Orange Lime Marmalade

Can Jam... Stoned Fruit

Carrots carrots carrots. February Can Jam.